I'll give you all a moment to wipe away the tears of sadness (or joy as the case may be). Now, here are the details:
- The legacy API is officially deprecated as of today, September 14th.
- For three months, the legacy API will continue in its current state.
- On or around December 14th, any new gadget submissions to the iGoogle directory must be using the gadgets.*, in order to be accepted, but existing gadgets may continue to use the legacy API.
- On the same date, the remaining inlined gadgets will be disabled.
- Finally, one year after deprecation, September 14th, 2010, gadgets using the legacy API will cease to function on iGoogle, and the majority of other Google-owned gadget containers (such as orkut, Gmail, and Calendar).
- Reminders will be posted when these important dates approach.
For most gadgets, the changes should be simple to implement. For each _IG_* method, there is usually a direct equivalent gadgets.* method. For instance, _IG_AdjustIFrameHeight maps directly to gadgets.window.adjustHeight, and performing a find and replace is sufficient. In a small subset of cases, multiple _IG_* methods map to a single gadgets.* method. For instance, _IG_FetchContent and _IG_FetchXmlContent both map to gadgets.io.makeRequest with different parameters. Developers should refer to the relevant section of the developer's guide to find gadgets.* equivalents.
If you have any questions, as always, feel free to inquire in the iGoogle Developer Forum.